Doing Your Bit: Ten Simple Ways to Help Reduce Air Pollution
By The Editors
Every day, we can choose to do things that help to reduce air pollution. And if we are aware of what we do, we can do even more.
Below are a few ideas to make a difference – Ten simple ways to help reduce air pollution.
1. Conserve energy – turn off appliances, computers and lights when you leave the room. Connect your outdoor lights to a timer or use solar lighting.
2. Dress for the weather and adjust layers before adjusting the thermostat.
3. Seal containers of household cleaners, workshop chemicals and solvents, as well as garden chemicals to prevent volatile organic compounds (VOC) from evaporating into the air. Use water-based or solvent free paints whenever possible and buy products that say “low VOC”.
4. Recycle paper, plastic, metals and organic materials.
5. Avoid using chemical pesticides or fertilizers in your yard and garden. Compost your yard waste. Do not use blowers – use a rake, instead.
6. Keep your vehicle well maintained. Replace oil and air filters regularly, and keep your tires properly inflated and aligned.
7. In the summertime, fill the gas tank during cooler evening hours to cut down on evaporation. Avoid spilling gas and don’t “top off” the tank. Replace the gas tank cap tightly.
8. Don’t buy more car than you need. Four-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, engine size, vehicle weight, and tire size all affect the amount of fuel your vehicle uses.
9. Ask your employer to consider flexible work schedules or telecommuting.
10. Advocate for emission reductions from power plants and more stringent national vehicle emission standards.
I have never realized or considered how easy it really is to reduce air pollution until I read this post. I now plan on really taking into consideration and executing all ten ways of reducing air pollution in my everyday life. Especially things such as just turning off appliances instead of keeping them running and keeping my car up to par and maintenance.